Vacations are supposed to be fun, so add some color to your drab campsite! These adorable DIY paper lanterns make the perfect camping decorations that are both fun and easy for your little campers to create! They’re so cute and easy, you can make a whole string of them to decorate your campsite! Here’s how!
What You’ll Need
- 1 piece of paper, 8.5 x 11 inches (thick scrapbook paper works well for holding shape)
- Double-sided tape or a stapler
- LED or flameless candle (optional)
- Cut a one inch strip off the short side of your piece of paper and set it aside. It will be attached as the handle later!
- Fold your piece of paper in half, “hot dog” style as your little campers might say!
- Starting an inch from the end of the paper, cut from the folded edge, stopping about an inch from the edge of the paper. Do this along the length of the paper. If your little campers are doing the cutting, you can mark the areas and lengths they need to cut so they don’t overshoot!
- Unfold your paper, then roll your paper into a tube. Use your tape or stapler to secure the ends together, overlapping the first one-inch pieces.
- Take your one-inch strip that you set aside in step 1 and attach with tape or stapler to form a handle.
- If you’d like to use your lantern with a light, place your LED flameless candle on a table or surface, and place the lantern over it! These lanterns are always great for hanging as well!
With just a few easy steps, you’ll have fun, whimsical camping decorations that take your campsite from average to awesome! These DIY paper lanterns are versatile and fun, and can have plenty of variations to reflect your own personal style! Scrapbook paper works well for this project as it is stiff and comes in endless great patterns! You could even use glitter paper, or use jewels and stickers to dress up a plain solid colored lantern! Share you ideas for cute lanterns with us in the comments!