Who doesn’t love a good grilled cheese? It is the perfect go-to comfort food that is delicious whether it’s gourmet or classic! But what about breakfast? Grilled cheese is definitely not off limits for breakfast! Cheese and bread is the staple for most breakfast sandwiches, and this recipe takes it to the next level! And the best part? You can easily prepare this over your campfire for a tasty and fun morning meal! You can even cook your meat ahead of time to make things even easier! Here’s our recipe for delicious breakfast campfire grilled cheese!
What You’ll Need:
- 4 Slices bacon -OR- 4 sausage links
- 4 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup milk
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Cup shredded cheese
- 4 Slices of bread, of choice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Frying pan
- Pie iron (optional)
1. After you have built up a suitable cooking fire, cook the bacon or sausage on a grate over the fire until fully cooked. If cooking sausage, be sure to break up the links into smaller pieces. Reserve one tablespoon of fat in your skillet and drain the rest. You can choose to pre-prepare your meat ahead of time and skip this step, and replace one tablespoon of butter in your skillet for the next step.
2. Whisk together milk and eggs, adding salt and pepper to your liking.
3. Once your leftover fat is heated or butter is melted, add you egg mixture to the pan and cook until eggs are thickened and liquid is no longer visible, about 3-5 minutes. Once cooked, set your eggs aside for later.
4. Butter one side of each of your slices of bread.
5. If you are using a frying pan, heat over the fire, and place two slices butter side down, and layer your ingredients as follows, making sure to distribute evenly between both sandwiches: cheese, bacon or sausage, egg, cheese, then top with a second piece of bread, butter side up. Cook until each side is browned and the cheese is melted.
If you are using a pie iron, place one slice on one side of your iron, and build your sandwich the same way, closing the iron over the top piece of bread. Cook around 3-5 minutes over the fire, or until cooked to your desired liking.
Now you can enjoy grilled cheese any time of the day! This breakfast campfire grilled cheese gives you tons of protein so you can have plenty of energy to get out there and enjoy your favorite camping activities! Give this great recipe a try and let us know what you think! If you want another fun camping twist on a breakfast classic, check out this pancake bite recipe!